How do courts determine Child Support?
In the State of Tennessee, courts use a number of determining factors when assessing child support payments.
Paying child support is your responsibility and if payments are not being deducted from your pay by income assignment, you must send payments directly to the State Disbursement Unit.
Your address, phone number and employer must be current with Child Support Enforcement at all times. Any changes MUST be reported within ten days.
- If the minor child/children is/are covered on TennCare, you are required to provide medical insurance if reasonably available to you through your employer.
- Child Support Enforcement is required to report to the credit bureau. Therefore, child support is reflected in your credit score.
- Child support cases are confidential. Information WILL NOT be released to someone who is not a party to the case (i.e. the payee and payor).
- Thirty days without child support payments may result in a Petition for Contempt being filed against you.
- If the payor’s address is not kept current with child support and payments are not being paid to the State Disbursement Unit, it may result in a warrant for the payor’s arrest with a cash bond being filed with the court.
- If child support payments are not paid as ordered for 3 months, Nashville may issue a notice for license revocation. Notice of License Revocation requires a lump sum payment to be agreed upon with the local Child Support Enforcement Office and must be paid to prevent license revocation for license reinstatement.
- Child Support Enforcement may also suspend passport priveleges. The payor must enter into an agreement with Nashville in order to have passport privileges reinstated.
- Parties may request a review of the child support order due to a change in circumstances. (i.e. change in income, additional adopted or natural children to support, change in medical and/or childcare expenses; change in co-parenting schedule) and must provide proof to the local Child Support Enforcement Office for the review process to begin.
Paying Child Support
The payor’s TCSES number must be included on the payment. Do not send cash. The following credit cards may be used to pay child support: Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Diner’s Club International, Discover, Union Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal. These payments may be made at https://tn.smartchildsupport.com/ or at 1-800-838-6911
If a credit, debit, or prepaid card is used, a 2.5% fee of the payment amount will be assessed. Payments paid directly to the Payee will not be given credit. It is a gift.
All child support payments must be paid to the State Disbursement Unit.
1938 East Lamar Alexander Parkway
Maryville TN 37804
State Disbursement Unit
PO Box 305200
Nashville TN 37229